South Bucks District Councillor 2011 - present
Elected in May 2011 as a Conservative member for the Farnham Royal Ward, and re-elected in 2015.
- I have served in the SBDC cabinet with responsibility for Resources, and am currently chairman of the Audit Committee and a member of the Planning Committee and the Healthy Communities Policy Advisory Group.
- Served on three of the working groups advising on the sharing of services between Chiltern DC and SBDC. We achieved efficiency improvements along with cost savings of hundreds of thousands of pounds per annum.
- I try my best to represent and help my residents and am active on their behalf on local issues, for example:
- Opposing inappropriate Green Belt development, such as the proposed Lynch Hill School (now relocated to Slough) and the M&S waste recycling centre, which was recently refused planning permission.
- Dealing with illegal Traveller incursions. Following extensive discussions the police and council response has become much quicker and more effective and the problem is greatly diminished.
- Helping residents with their individual problems on planning, rubbish collection and other matters.
- Regularly attending meetings of the Parish Council in order to understand clearly local concerns.
career, education and personal
My career has been spent mostly in financial services. I was CEO of Hitachi Capital (UK) PLC until 2010, and Chairman of PCF Group plc, a small bank, until the end of 2016. I believe my specialist financial and organisational skills have been of great use to SBDC and will be of great use to the new Unitary council.
Hull Grammar School, 1958-66
St Catherine’s College, Oxford, 1966-69 (MA in Modern History)
Chartered Accountant, 1972 (FCA)
Married with two grown-up children
Leisure interests: Walking, skiing, poetry (three books published), classic cars, table tennis